Sunday 17 June 2012

Abra Kuma and Saying Goodbye

The three women when they presented me the gift

I can’t deny how negative some of my views of the village life is, but I also can’t ignore all the wonderful moments of peacefulness, kindness, generosity and cultural richness.

One prominent tradition is calling someone by the day of the week they were born on. I was born on a Tuesday, the word for that is Kuma. However Elaine was also born on a Tuesday, and as my caretaker she is like my bigger sister, so the word Abra, meaning little, is put in front of Kuma. My name became Abra-Kuma, or Little-Tuesday. As I reflected on this I began to think of the significance of Tuesdays for me. Tuesday was the day of the week I left Sydney to come to Africa. Tuesday is also the day of the week I was due to arrive back home in Sydney in four months time. I wondered what else Tuesday’s would have in store for me.

One day I had tried to escape the watchful eye of Sammy and took myself off for a walk when I had meant to be at my hut ‘resting’. I had not gotten half a kilometre away when Sammy ran up behind me. He lectured me for walking off without him and I thought ‘how ironic! I manage to make it across the other side of the world only to be told I can’t walk a kilometre on my own’. But Sammy had explained to me that I was his responsibility, and besides, if I had crossed into one of the other villages I would have to know to go to the chiefs of that village and tell them my mission for being there, and well, I don’t speak Ewe.

We did continue walking into the next village, and as expected of him Sammy presented me to the chiefs and explained that our mission was just a friendly hello. There are a set of rules to these interactions, and although it could seem tedious to perform, I liked that the culture, the history and respect is still alive here.

When the female children bathed I noticed the Jonu beads around their waste. I asked Joanna the meaning of these beads, and was told they serve three functions. First, when it is on young babies the mother can gauge whether or not the baby is gaining weight. Secondly it is believed that they shape the woman's figure desirably so that the bottom will stick out. Thirdly she told me that when it comes time for sex the man can be sure she is a woman because of the beads; "if she isn't wearing the beads how will he know she is a woman?" … I didn’t answer.

I worry about the future of these traditions, the future for villages like this. I personally don’t want to see the world Westernised and colonised by globalisation. But of course who am I to so selfishly say that things should stay the way they are. If these people want to live in apartment blocks, drive Audi’s shop at Woolworths and eat pizza then who am I to say that shouldn’t.

But despite all the negatives I found in the village, I also saw a lot of beauty, and I saw people who seem to be genuinely quite happy, happier than a lot of the people I know in Sydney.

I had told Sammy that the biggest cause of death in Australia was suicide and he flat-out didn’t believe me. “Why would someone so lucky want to die”? He had asked me. And I didn’t have a simple enough answer. He told me he wanted to go to Sydney, I wondered what he’d really think of it.

On my last night in the village I had a knot of sadness. Everyone had spent the day making me promise I would come back again and stay longer next time. I promised I would but I knew deep down that I would probably never see any of them again.

Florence, Elaine and the old woman who lived across from me brought two wooden benches to my door to say goodbye. They sat me down opposite them and presented me with a gift; it was a wooden beaded bracelet they had made. Then Sammy came over and presented me with some beautiful material that the villagers had pitched in to buy me. I was touched. I had tears in my eyes from both gifts.

These people really didn’t have much, and they had only known me for a week. It wasn’t the first time I had been given gifts. Elaine had come to my room one day with a surprise in her hand. It was wrapped in a cloth which she swept up to reveal a bottle of Coca-Cola. I don’t drink Coke, I hate the stuff, but she was beaming when she gave it to me and I thought it was such a lovely gesture that I drank it, trying to share it with her (read: trying to get her to drink it instead) but she insisted I have the whole thing. People had also brought me various foods like yams, beans and bananas and I wished I had something to give in return.

I was restless and ready to keep moving and so staying in the village longer wasn’t an option for me, but Hodzo Achianse had been a refuge from the bedlam of Accra. It had been an image straight from a coffee table book and many times I just looked around me bewildered that I was actually in a place like this. It had been interesting and relaxing and I am never going to forget it, or the friends I’d made.

No comments:

Post a Comment