Wednesday 18 April 2012

My 28th Birthday



It is February the 28th, my 28th birthday.

I tried not to think about it too much, I was fully aware at how fragile my moods were.  I always get sad on my birthday, I hate birthdays in fact, and I knew it was going to take a lot of extra strength to keep the birthday blues away this year. I missed my girlfriend even more that day and I kept my phone in my hand willing for it to ring and to hear her voice on the other end.
I decided to go to a little street cafe around the corner of my hotel. It looked super cute and David said he goes there all the time. It is just a table with 6 picnic chairs set up on the footpath behind a sheet of lace and an extra table for the woman to prepare the food. I ordered an egg sandwhich and my first cup of coffee since Sydney airport. It was instant nescafe with sweetened condensed milk, but I enjoyed the familiar morning ritual of sipping hot coffee and contemplating life.

Abigail's cafe


I started a conversation with the woman who worked there. Her name was Abigail, she was a stunning woman, she also had the scarred lines down her cheek bones. I told her I liked them, she scrunched her face up and said how ugly they are. She said she wouldn't do it if she had a baby. I asked her if she had children, she said no, I sensed a touch of sadness, or perhaps a deeper reason there, so I changed the subject and asked if she had a husband or boyfriend. She said that yes she was in love and it made her happy. She asked if I was in love, I said yes, but she couldnt understand why I was so far away from my partner (she assumed a man, I again just kept using the male pronoun to make life easier). I said that travelling is easier in a way knowing that he (she) was still there for me. She agreed saying love is strangth.

I trotted back to my hotel wondering if love is the same feeling for people world-wide or not.

Back in my room I was starting to feel the birthday sadness creep in and I thought I better do something to distract me. I picked up the map of Accra and studied it for something to do. There was a few museums I could check out, a memorial of some kind... and then I saw it. Right along the bottom of the map, way over the other side of town I see a street called '28th of February Rd'.

What are the odds of that?! On the 28th of February, on my 28th birthday, I see a street called '28th of February Rd'.


So naturally I decide that I must walk all the way across town and take a photo of the street sign.

So that is what I did.
And eventually I found it.
And I took a photo.

And this is what happens when you are forced to spend your birthday alone.
Though later that night David met me for a few beers and some dinner, and my 28th birthday was not so sad afterall.

8 comments:

  1. That is one pretty cool sign.... Perhaps it was a "sign" of things to come.... hee hee...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a sign to me. Sure as hell it is a sign!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still thoroughly enjoy reading your blogs Kai and can't wait to check for a new one each day. Belated birthday greetings for 28th February.

    I watched Amazing Race on TV last night and they were in Tanzania (not Ghana I know) but made me take more interest and think of your journey so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that you are following the blog!
      I would love to go to Tanzania but wont make it there this trip. I will be in Ethiopia in a couple of weeks time, it also prob wont be like Tanzania but its on the same side of the continent at least!

      Delete
  4. Can't believe you found that sign! At least it gave you something to do... Glad your birthday improved by the end of the day too.

    If you are only up to 28th Feb there must be lots more blogs to come so keep them coming pls! My days at work are very borning at the moment so I look forward to reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes lots more blogs to come, still only half way through traveling so LOADS more to come! It is hard to do them often from Africa though, at the moment in Namibia it is fine, but by the time I get to Ethiopia it will be really hard to keep blogging.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you felt so sad on your birthday. Aren't you lucky you weren't born on the 29th February (your due date, it was an actual leap year), then the sign wouldn't have meant so much.
    I missed getting you a cake for your day as well!

    ReplyDelete