Thursday 26 April 2012

One man in Ghana

The first time I caved and gave a guy my number it was to Kingsley.

The day I got off the bus after my trip down to Elmina, that long day where I had waited 7 hours for the bus, only to find out I couldn't get on it and had to take several tro tro's instead. Well, needless to say I was hot, tired and frikkin pissed that afternoon.Straight away some guy grabs my arm and I push him away quite aggressively and keep walking.

I think I walked for about 20 minutes when a young man walks up beside me and introduces himself as Kingsley. I had sweat literally pouring off me and filling up the angry creases covering my forehead - how could this guy be interested in chatting me up right then?

Actually he was quite gorgeous and not at all intimidating, but only 22 years old! I gave him my number so he would leave, what harm could it do anyway? If I had known then that he was the guy who first grabbed me when I hopped off the bus and then followed me all this way, I would have thought twice about giving him my details. But that was a fact he told me two days later when I coincidentally bumped into him in town again. When I gave him my number he left straight away but called me twice that night. I answered the first time, it was strange, he had absolutely no reason to call except to wish me a good night. So the second time I didn't answer, but knew he would call again the next day.

When I bumped into him in town he asked me if I would like to spend some time with him. I had nothing else to do so said yes, I think maybe I was also trying to make up for ignoring his calls. He showed me the mobile phone booth where he worked on the edge of Agbogbloshie (the slum). He introduced me to his brother and I bought him a soft drink so we could sit in the shade, mostly in silence. We hung out for only an hour, two max, before I made an excuse to leave. That was the last time I ever saw Kinglsey, but definitely not the last I heard from him. Every single day I got several calls and several text messages from him. Here is a couple of them:

'meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice but falling in love with you i had no control over' (suspiciously written in perfect English).

'I'm afraid to lose you, i hope for us, two souls with but a single thought, two hearts that beat as one. Kia there is nothing i like more than just to have you'

This was my favourite:

'As u go 2 bed 2night, i ordered bats 2 guard u tight. i told so ghosts to dance in white, and 2 make sure u r alryt, i'll ask the dracula 2 kiss ur neck goodnight..'

If I thought he had regular access to the internet then I would have assumed he did a Google search for 'worst poetry to win the heart of a white woman'. He really is sweet though so I sent him a couple of messages saying that I am already in a relationship and even so I am only here for a short while. It didn't work, the messages kept coming.

My final message said:
'You can't contact me anymore, but you are handsome and sweet and one day you will make a woman very happy'. And I hope she makes him just as happy.

I have to say though that men from Ghana are surely some of the sexiest in the world! They all have these huge cheeky grins, deep set eyes and smooth, flawless skin. They are tall, all tone and muscle, and have very little body hair. They are born with rhythm and have a great sense of humour. Just a little side note for any woman or gay man considering a trip there.

4 comments:

  1. How... How did you pass that up Kai! LOL... lucky you aren't a sucker for vampires, no pun intended! lol Loving it Kai, keep em coming x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a smooth talker! Is he still texting you??

    Do you have a new number??

    Laura
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all your fault (or that of you face) I'm not surprised that the whole male population of Ghana fell in love with you as the same happened to me. But in a very unobtrusive way, as you will hopefully agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They didn't fall in love with me, they fell in love with the idea of marrying a white woman.

    ReplyDelete